Monday, March 13, 2006

Grandma Block

My Grandma Block passed away last night. It is sad, but also a time for celebration. My Grandmother had a faith in God that was awesome. I didn't truly understand her faith until I understood mine, but she was a wonderful woman on Christ. She was 93 years old and lived a good life. She was a eucher fanatic and would not miss a card game at the nursing home in which she lived. She would even cut family visits short if it was time to play cards. And this woman was an awesome eucher player. She could beat anyone. I never saw her lose a game. One time when Lisa and I played against her and my Uncle Mel, they table talked in German through the whole game. Lisa and I didn't know what they were saying. They beat us 10-0. Grandma kept looking at our score card and moving the cards so that just the tip of the first heart on the 5 was showing and would say, "You just got to let them breath a little." I love my Grandma.

My Grandma came from a long line of German ancestry and would always be trying to teach someone and German word here or there. She was always teaching the grandkids German words. She was so cute.

When we celebrated Christmas, we would sing the first verse to Silent Night in German, every year. So, in tribute to my Grandma Block here are the word to Silent Night in German

Stille Nacht, heilige Nacht,Alles schläft, einsam wacht Nur das traute, hochheilige Paar,Holder Knabe im lockigen HaarSchlaf in himmlischer Ruh'!
Schlaf in himmlischer Ruh'!

There is so much more that I could say about my Grandma, but I know that she is in Heaven glorifying God and worshipping Him. Which is a comforting thought. It makes me smile to know that she is there at this moment. I do miss her, but I am happy to know that she is with God, and there is no better place to be.

3 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

Paul and Lisa,

What a touching tribute to a great woman! You and your family will be in my prayers.

6:01 PM  
Blogger Andrea said...

When ever we play cards with my Grandma (mima to her grandchildren)and she gets a really good card she pushes it in her hand with her elbo and says "oooo that one fit just right." It always makes me laugh. I think it is cool that your grandma had a simular habit. Those are the things we have to keep alive:) Sorry for your loss, can't wait to see you soon!

10:33 AM  
Blogger serina said...

So sorry, Paul. I rejoice that she's led such a Christ-filled life and shared so much love!

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home